Scam Alert: Rise in Scam Calls Reported to El Paso Electric
El Paso, Texas – El Paso Electric (EPE) has seen an increase in the number of scam calls targeting customers, with over 60 reported just this month. Scammers are masking calls to make it appear as if it was originated by EPE as well as resembling the customer service phone number. Each scam reported involve the threat to disconnect service if payment is not made immediately. Customers are being directed to purchase a prepaid debit card to handle payment. Customers are then provided with either a “1-800” or “1-877” non-affiliated EPE phone number to call back to make the payment over the phone.
As these scams become more sophisticated, customers should hang up and call an El Paso Electric phone number to report the call or inquire about the status of their account. EPE will never ask customers to purchase a prepaid debit card to make a payment over the phone.
EPE recommends the following tips to protect customers from potential scams:
- Be suspicious of any call asking for payment, especially if they require payment with a prepaid debit card. EPE has various payment methods through authorized payment options.
- EPE will never direct customers to an exclusive location to handle payment with a prepaid debit card.
- If there are any questions regarding the authenticity of the caller claiming to represent EPE, report the issue at (915) 543-5970, (575) 526-5555 or call toll free at (800) 592-1634.
- Do not offer any confidential information unless the customer initiated the contact with EPE customer service at one of the above numbers.
If you have any doubt about the authenticity of a caller, hang up and call EPE directly at any of the numbers below:
- (915) 543-5970
- (575) 526-5555
- Toll-free at 1-800-592-1634
For a complete list of EPE authorized payment options or for financial assistance, please visit itilpeople.com.